
We read the Christmas story in the scriptures this year, The Night Before Christmas, and Lydia sang a song. It was simple and yet plenty! :) My sweet babies in there nighties. They have been so so good this year and I'm pretty sure Santa knew it!
This year has been a very difficult one for us as far as finances go. We have been fine, and we have found ways to make it through, but it has been incredibly tight! A few months went by where we could not get groceries. We, fortunately, had some food storage that we broke into and were able to live on that for a while. I learned to get very creative with meals! I like to get the kids a new set of pajamas for the Christmas season, but we weren't able to do that this year. Instead we got "new" old pajamas. Miles's were a pair from his cousin William that I saved for Christmas, Faith's was from a clothing exchange Becky and Rachel went to, and Lydia's was the nightgown I wore as a girl, sewn by my Grandmother. I was so worried as I brought them up Christmas Eve, mostly about Lydia's. I was worried it would be too big, she'd think it was ugly, or she wouldn't wear it because it had an itchy waistline or something. To my great surprise, she LOVED it! She adored it. She thought I was the best ever! It made me so happy! She wanted to wear it all day the next day!
We have been blessed in many many ways and I start to feel like we just take and take and take and are never able to give. I get frustrated and down, but then I remind myself that this will not be forever. We will get through this and we will be on the other side; in a better place to be able to empathize and serve others who may be going through this kind of thing also. I'll do the best that I can and give where I can, and accept that others can help me right now. They are trying be the Lord's hands. And they have been. I have felt much love and gratitude toward many and from many who have given so much.
My heart was so full when, when on Christmas Eve Santa truly visited our home. Magic and Christmas Spirit washed over me as I dragged a large box inside. It had been left on our doorstep anonymously. I had no one to thank, but my Savior. The kids had just went to bed and Chris and I were about to set up the few things we had gathered for our kids. I had donated plasma twice a week for months to purchase gifts for them. I feel like we had enough, but I was touched that someone would be so generous! Chris started to unload the gifts, which were individually wrapped with names on them, under the tree. I suddenly had a different thought, which helped me to accept these things. I realized that these were not donations, they were gifts, from the real Santa...that doesn't happen often as an adult! It truly was a surprise to see the kids' gifts from Santa as they opened them and found such amazing, wonderful, perfect gifts. Someone was so aware and so attentive to my family and my children's interests and was so thoughtful in sharing and giving. It brought tears to my eyes as I realized Santa is real. And Christmas really is magical!
| Christmas dinner. We splurged and are thinking we'll make it a tradition to grill steaks on Christmas Day. |
Merry Christmas!



No comments:
Post a Comment