
Chris had recently, this past year, been saying how much he'd like to see a lighthouse. He'd never seen one and we even took a long drive along the coast one day in search of one, but never got to it. I thought it would be fun to take him to see a lighthouse for his birthday. This lighthouse did not allow for children to go up inside, so Grandma and Grandpa agreed to let the kids come play at their house while Chris and I took a day trip to see these lighthouses in Virginia Beach. I always think that Virginia Beach is just a short little drive away, and then I realize how far three hours really is when we get there and realize that we still have to drive all the way back! :) But I really enjoyed this day that I got to spend alone with my sweetheart. We got to talk and listen to our own music the whole way there and back and it was fun to enjoy each other and learn together at this historical lighthouse. The brick one is the first lighthouse constructed by the U.S. Government, it was later replaced by the black and white one that you see in the pictures. It was such a beautiful clear day and so it made for a great drive, great view, and great walk on the beach. We made it back to my mom and dad's where the Gelvins had come to join us for cake and ice cream. The kids thought it was fun to hide and turn off the lights so they could "surprise" Chris! I made him a "Coca Cola Cake" that he had been requesting I make for a while. I made it into a football for him. So two of his favorite things put into his birthday cake...and it was pretty delicious! We had a fun fun day.


 |
| Can't believe we are old enough to be 30! |
I wish I had gotten a picture before we devoured it! It was pretty awesome.
The kids all cuddled up together so cute to watch "Despicable Me" while the adults played a few games.
Lydia and Miles made this adorable poster for Chris. I LOVE it!
(Sorry those were kinda out of order, but I added them from my phone and I don't feel like messing with moving them...so back to light house...)
 |
| Check out how thick those walls are! That was a windowsill. |
 |
| We could actually see our shadows moving around in the top! |
 |
| We just found this sign humorous. |
 |
| A highlight of the trip was just sitting on the beach together watching these waves crash into the barrier rocks. So calming and beautiful. |
 |
| "So give me hope in the darkness, that I will see the light..." |
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| On our walk back to the car from the beach, the sun was aligned perfectly for this pretty cool view of the lighthouse. |
Happy Birthday Chris! 30 years full of life and with so much still left. You are my best friend and doing things together will never get old!
No comments:
Post a Comment