I have not been able to write for a while. To be honest, our lives have been somewhat overwhelming. I need to record all about Faith's arrival to our family though before I begin to forget.
Sunday July 21
Chris took the kids to church because I was not
feeling well that morning...and I did not want to answer the daunting,
but sure to be asked, questions of why I was still pregnant. That
afternoon, I started to feel some contractions and got excited. I
started timing them and they seemed to be coming pretty regularly. When
Chris got home from church, they got to be about 5 minutes apart and so
we left for the hospital. WELL, on the way to the hospital, they totally
slowed down until the contractions went away almost all together! We
walked around a little bit before going into the hospital and then
decided to just head back home and not even check in. We were both so
disappointed.
 |
| Taken just before we left on our false alarm. |
Monday July 22
I went to the doctor for my weekly check and the
nurse mentioned that I was 38 weeks. "38 Weeks?" I said, "I was due
last week!" She seemed surprised and checked with the doctor. When the
doctor came in she informed me that apparently my due date had been
changed. I had received no note of this. According to my ultra sound,
which was done after 20 weeks, my due date was August 1. The last I
heard, the doctor said they were keeping the due date of the 17th
because that was what matched my last period and the ultra sound was
done pretty late....But I guess one of the doctors in the practice
decided to change it to match my ultra sound. I asked the doctor about
being induced and she said the problem was that the hospitals policy on
induction by choice was that you must be at least 39 weeks along. I
could not be induced until July 25th according to the due date on the
doctor's records. Meanwhile, my mom and dad were preparing for the Stake
Pioneer Trek which would take place the 25th through the 27th. And my
grandmother, Helen Anderson, was fading quickly and my mom was trying to
make preparations for attending her funeral. I mentioned these things
to the doctor, she checked me and found that I was showing signs that
labor could be soon. She decided that she would speak with her
colleagues and call me the next day with their decision of which due
date they will keep on record. If it really was supposed to be the 17th,
they wouldn't want me to go much longer without being induced, but if
it was the 1st, they didn't want to induce me too early....
Tuesday July 23
I
never received a phone call, but I had no anxiety whatsoever. I really
felt that our little baby was getting ready, and she would be here on
her own soon. I played with my kids and had a beautiful, calming,
reassuring day. I was blessed with a peace and confidence that I was
ready for the challenge of raising three children, that Heavenly Father
would strengthen me and I could do it. I felt some contractions
throughout the day, but I tried not to get too excited and kept my focus
on Miles and Lydia. We played and cleaned and played some more. I
started to feel an inner confirmation I was going to be in labor
shortly, but I kept it to myself and enjoyed breathing through the
contractions I was beginning to feel. I refused to track the times of
them yet (not until I could sit down and really focus on them, not until
after Lydia and Miles were in bed) and I refrained from mentioning
anything about them to Chris when he got home from work because I knew
that as soon as I did, he would want to leave for the hospital right
away. We got the kids in bed and went downstairs to watch The Hulk which
was on TV, called my parents to have them bring us home some Buster
Bars, and I started timing my contractions, with little doubt that I
would find them coming regularly and that they would increase in
strength. Sure enough! I started timing them at 9:00 p.m. and by 10:30,
they were about 5 minutes apart and were definitely getting stronger! I
finally told Chris and, as I had anticipated, he went straight upstairs
and grabbed our bags.We arrived at the hospital at about 11:00 p.m.,
they checked me and I hooked me up to monitors, but did not actually
admit me because I wasn't dilated far enough yet.
 |
| The real thing! Baby #3 is on her way. |
Wednesday July 24
They finally "admitted" us at about 2:00
a.m. They started my first round of antibiotics and Chris and I walked
the halls together until my contractions really started to take some
concentration on my part. We went back the room and Chris and I began to
prepare for a long couple of hours. Our little girl had a plan of her
own and she did not want to follow my schedule, or the doctor's
schedule, she wanted to be sure and come on her OWN time (exactly a week
after my thought due date, and week before the doctor's thought due
date). It was a beautiful, and intense, feeling to experience my body
going through the delivery of a new life all completely on its own.
Chris and I were both exhausted having had no sleep. We were both
falling asleep in between contractions. Just before 5:00 a.m. I was
beginning to feel the baby moving down. The nurse came in and checked me
and said I was not ready and that I would have to refrain from any type
of pushing. This frustrated me so badly. I couldn't help what my body
was doing at this point and it was telling me to start bearing down. The
doctor came in and said the same thing! "No!" I screamed in my head,
this was torture, how could I hold back? I guess maybe I just needed to
maintain composure and control and try to breathe through the
contractions better. The doctor asked if I felt an "uncontrollable,
overwhelming urge to push yet" I didn't really answer her, I thought I
was feeling that already, but maybe I just needed to calm down. Then the
next contraction came, before Dr. Neil had left the room, and I just
remember saying (possibly shouting), "I can't, I can't, I can't! I HAVE
to push! She's coming! She's Coming!" I heard Dr. Neil say, "like
that..." and she put her gloves back and on and returned to my aid.
My
sweet little Faith girl was laid on my tummy within minutes and I felt
much more a part of the actual welcoming of the baby than I got to with
either Lydia or Miles. I got to see her and touch her when she first
came out and Chris got to cut the umbilical cord. I got to hold her for
several minutes before they took her to do her weight check and all
that.
They then wrapped her up and placed her in my arms again
and she was just so perfectly content. Her eyes were wide open and she
gazed up into my eyes. We had our own silent conversation and I
instantly fell in love with this little girl straight from heaven. It
was a unique and very special experience. I felt her saying, "I have
chosen
you to be my mother." "Thank you for bringing me here safely." and "I
LOVE you." I felt the maturity of her spirit and I was humbled and yet
so filled with pride at the same time. Chris and I were certain that she
should be called Faith.
 |
| I was actually kind of sad at this moment as Chris cut the source of nutrition and life that connected Faith and I. |
 |
| What s big girl. :) |
 |
| After Faith's bath and my shower. Enjoying the first few hours with her. |
 |
| Daddy soaking up his baby girl. |
 |
| Just a few hours old with Mommy and Daddy. |
 |
| Faith meets Lydia and Lydia meets Faith. |
 |
| Meeting Miles. |
 |
| Miles missed me! |
 |
| What great sisters already. |
 |
| Faith and Grandma Stoker |
 |
| With Grandpa Stoker |
 |
| Our happy little family. |
Your amazing Brindy, you make natural child birth sound easy. Sweet little girl, I really wish I could see and hold her. Sure miss you lots my friend. Hope your all doing good. It's so weird seeing you with Miles and Faith because I have never seen you with them in person.
ReplyDeleteI love this! birth stories always choke me up reading them. You are such a rock-star! Faith and your whole family are so adorable! Congrats congrats congrats to you guys!
ReplyDelete