Friday, January 6, 2017

Baking with friends

If only this cute little scene had went as it appears...perfectly and all happy....
Although I think they all ended up having a really great time, it definitely was not FUN for me. Lydia ended up getting extremely frustrated that she could not be in COMPLETE control of everyone and dictate their every move, which led to a long ridiculous tantrum! She stomped out of the kitchen yelling tasteful words to me and cried (quite loudly and dramatically) in her room for too long of a time, especially, with her friends over! I didn't quite know what to do....do I send the friends home and let Lydia cool off? Do I let her continue her outrage in front of them? Do I save her from embarrassment and try to reason with her friends or let her learn what kind of reactions that behavior gets from friends? It was so tough!! I ended up continuing making the cookies with her friends until they were ready to bake. Went and talked with Lydia while her friends found something to play with. We said a prayer together and she was finally able to calm down. She apologized to every one and we all baked the cookies together and then ate them.

The next day, she spoke of this experience as she shared her testimony during fast and testimony meeting. She shared it eloquently, which I was grateful for, in her words she said, "The other day I was really stressed. I was wishing that I was eight so that I could have the Holy Ghost with me to help calm me down. My mom said I don't have to be eight to have the Holy Ghost with me, I can have it with me any time I want. She said a prayer with me and I felt the spirit and I was able to calm down." As difficult as her outburst was at the time, I realized that she truly was able to learn from it and her testimony of the comfort the Holy Ghost can provide for us sprouted. Many were touched by her words. She is a very special little girl who holds much power within her!

No comments:

Post a Comment