SO....we turned our little carload around and went up in the canyon for a hike up to see the Wind Caves we have heard so much about instead. And it was an absolutely wonderful turn of events! The kids got tired toward the end, but it's one of those things that I don't think they will remember anything but the fond memory of the experience. :)
Lydia ran for about the first quarter-half a mile of the hike! After explaining to her how important it is to stay close to us and to pace herself to reserve her energy and strength, she was like a little energizer bunny. She did so awesome. Chris and I were having to carry Faith and Miles most of the way. I was so proud of her for being so strong and determined to finish. She was SO excited to see the caves at the end that it was motivation enough for her to keep on going even when she was tired.
Miles hiked on his own for about the first mile, and then wanted to be carried the rest of the way....so that is why Chris has Faith in the backpack and Miles on his shoulders. Chris was like a tank and I think this hike was more of a work out than he was anticipating only because he did end up having to carry 50+ pounds extra.
They were making such cute little faces for the camera, I have to keep them to show their personalities. And of course for good laughs when they get older!
We made it to the Caves!
They certainly loved seeing the caves at the end. They were so excited to explore them and to celebrate their accomplishment! It was a little nerve-wrecking because the ground was steep and loose and led to a severe drop off. I think Chris and I were both fighting hard to keep our cool in corralling them away from danger, especially when they were so excited to be there and see every bit of that neat thing they had just hiked so far to see.
Looking back at the wind caves from a view on the way back down.
No comments:
Post a Comment